Wednesday, March 18, 2015

~If You Are Going To Break It, Break It Good~

My mom was watching Garrett and Lexi while I was with Mckell on her fieldtrip.  Just as we were walking back to the bus to end the fieldtrip, I got a call from Dave.  He asked what I was doing and if I could meet him.  I honestly thought he was talking about meeting for lunch.  He informed me that no we would not be meeting for lunch.  He got a call from the Dr.'s office saying that they had his daughter and that she had broken her arm.  (my mom doesn't have a cell phone and didn't have our correct numbers.  It was a good thing the dr.'s office did).  So we were to head right to the North Ogden InstaCare.  When I got there, I was surprised to see Lexi so calm.  In fact, she was so calm she had fallen asleep.  It was my mom who was crying.  The doctor immediately told us that they wouldn't be able to fix Lexi's arm.  She'd have to head up to the ER, and that they would need to call in an orthopedic surgeon to help her.  When I looked at Lexi's arm I about died!  Boy did she break it!
Ouch!!!!  After seeing it, I really couldn't believe how calm she was.  I guess she fell off the trampoline at my moms.  When it happened, my mom was over with Garrett on a hill in their backyard playing.  My mom heard a scream, she thought Lexi had just gotten cut or something.  When she headed over to the trampoline, Lexi was holding up her arm saying "Grandma! It doesn't look right.  I think it's broke"  My mom did her best to stay clam, so that Lexi wouldn't freak out.  She told Lexi that they needed to get their shoes on and head to the doctors office.  Lexi didn't like this idea, she just pleaded for my mom to just wrap it up :)  Little did she know that would not work with this break.  On the way to the doctor's office, my mom and Lexi said a little prayer asking for Lexi to remain calm and for peace to know everything would be ok.  They both said they knew the prayer worked because Lexi was sooo calm.  As they got to the InstaCare, my mom couldn't find any parking, so she had to park clear in the back.  She was carrying Lexi in, trying to keep Garrett by her side.  She hadn't even gotten to the front door, when a nurse came out to meet her.  She told my mom that the InstaCare was backed up about 2 hours and that one of the doctors, Dr. Allen, saw my mom carrying Lexi and said he'd get her in.  Blessing!  They went right back to his office and found Dave's number.  After looking at her arm, they decided she'd better head up to the ER do have an orthopedic surgeon come and fix it.  They hadn't given Lexi anything for the pain, yet she had fallen asleep.  She didn't cry as we loaded her back into the car and headed to the ER.  She didn't cry as we sat in the ER waiting room for a while.  What a tough little cookie!

As we were admitting Lexi, we were asked why we were there.  Dave told the man that Lexi had broken her arm.  He then asked, "How do you know it is broken?"  Dave replied, " Well, I'm no doctor, but  can pretty much guarantee it's broken"  When the man admitting us saw Lexi's arm, he was shocked that she was so calm.  And she still hadn't been given anything for the pain.  She didn't cry until the nurse told her she was going to give Lexi an IV so they could put her to sleep.  It was then that Lexi lost it.  She cried and cried, insisting that she didn't want a shot.  The nurses told her she needed to have the IV so that they could give her medicine.  Then Lexi cried harder, because she didn't like the taste of medicine, lol.  She didn't cry until they mentioned shots and medicine, lol.  She is so funny.  They hooked up the IV, gave her morphine, and took her back for x-rays.
Lexi had broken both of her bones right in half.  Poor kiddo.
The orthopedic surgeon came in and told us we were lucky because Lexi's growth plates were still wide open, so they could just set her arm back in place and the bones would grow back together on their own.  He said if she had been older, they would have taken her right in for surgery.  She is so lucky.  And she lucked out that they put her to sleep while he set her arm back in place.  I left the room, cause the doctor told me that you would hear bones breaking and crunching as they put her arm straight again.  I didn't want to be there for that so I went in the hall, and I could still hear it.  Poor Lexi!  It was really good she was asleep, cause it sounded terrible, and I'm sure it would have felt terrible too.
Lexi's broken bone.
Lexi all fixed up.  Still no tears!  She is a tough little cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment